Miami-Dade County Stops Funding Immigration Detention
Miami-Dade County has passed a resolution signaling that it will instruct its Correction and Rehabilitation Department to not honor Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainers; unless, the federal government issues a refund for “all costs relating to compliance with such detainer requests.”
You can see a copy of the resolution here, which was sponsored by Commissioner Jean Monestime and Sally A. Heyman.
Here are some highlights from the resolution:
- 3,262 detainers issued by ICE to Miami-Dade’s Correction and Rehabilitation Department in 2011
- 57% of said detainers did not involve inmates charged with felonies
- $1,002,700 is what Miami-Dade taxpayers paid for compliance with ICE detainers in 2011
- 2,499 detainers issued to Miami-Dade’s Correction and Rehabilitation Department in 2012
- 61% of said detainers did not involve inmates charged with felonies
- $667,076 is what Miami-Dade taxpayers pid for compliance with ICE detainers in 2012
A news conference on the resolution is expected tomorrow (12/18/13):
When: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 9:30 a.m.
Where: Press Room, Stephen P. Clark Government Center, 111 NW 1st Street, 2nd floor
Contact: Jonathan Fried: firstname.lastname@example.org